Thursday, October 12, 2017

PACKING FOR BARCELONA


Packing with Two Carry-On Bags Only

What a pleasure traveling with only carry-on baggage!  No worries about checked suitcases! No extra time and money spent on checked luggage!  No waiting for checked suitcases!  Off the plane...and your vacation begins!
We have traveled for two weeks using our packing techniques. We take everything we'll need ...plus room for souvenirs and gifts!  This trip, we'll be traveling three weeks, using our same packing techniques ....a week in Barcelona and then a 2 week transatlantic cruise.
Here's how we do it!


Mary K.'s Luggage 

1.  Buy the lightest weight spinner wheel suitcase (airline carry-on compatible size). Empty, my old carry-on weighs over double what this 4 lb. suitcase weighs. Believe me, that lighter weight is significant when hoisting it into the overhead compartment!
2.  Choose 1 or 2 dominant wardrobe colors (such as black and blue jean blue ... my favorites.   I replace blue with white for warm weather destinations ). Mix and match with your dominant colors for a wide variety of outfits.   I prefer mostly solid colors, when traveling, with only 2 or 3 pieces with patterns.
3.Two scarves and a few pieces of jewelry are all that is necessary to give you a variety of different looks!  They take up little room in your suitcase yet, an everyday outfit can quickly be transformed into suitable dressy attire.
4. Layer your on-plane outfit.
    Coat (depending on your destination's weather)
    Sweater
    1 Overblouse or top
    Shirt under the overblouse
    Shelf bra tank top under the shirt 
    Pashmina or shawl/scarf
All take  up room in your suitcase...so wear them!  On the plane, you can adjust for comfort.
5.  Bring, what I call, "disposables".  Don't we all have good looking clothes in our wardrobe that we're just plain tired of?  I know I do!  I have a box in my closet, marked "travel disposables", that I fill throughout the years, ready for my next trip.  I do the same with shoes...and underwear I've had a year or more.  Two weeks supply ... 14 panties take up alot of suitcase room!  Check out my photos.

This 3 week trip, I'll leave behind ... dress shoes (old, worn, but still look good and suitable enough for just this one trip; 21 pairs of panties (throw outs); 1 pajamas; 1 pair of slacks.  Thus, I have room for souvenirs and gifts.   
Here we go......
How I fit all of this in that 4 lb.  carry-on suitcase.......








The following items are now in this suitcase!  
1 sheath dress --- 6 tops/blouses ---1 blue jeans ---1 black slacks --- 1 black leggings --- 3 long sleeve turtlenecks --- 2 short sleeve shirts --- 2 shelf bra tank tops ---1 nightie (double as a swimsuit cover-up) --- 1 pajamas --- 1 pair dress shoes --- 3 pairs of socks and 3 stockings/shoe insoles (tucked inside shoes) --- 1 pair fold-up ballet slippers --- 1 swimsuit --- 1 scarf --- 1 bra --- 21 undies --- 1 pair tights --- 1 cosmetic/toiletries case --- 2 bags of jewelry (3 pieces in each) --- 1 flat tam hat --- 1 large fold-up travel bag ---  1 small fold up shopping bag.

The suitcase's two front zippered pouches are empty.. but, before traveling, I'll stow my traveling papers, kindle, a magazine.  There's plenty of room for a paperback book, a few snacks, a scarf, gloves, hat, etc.  Very handy!


My second carry-on will fit nicely under the plane seat.  It will carry a case for basic medications we might need, band-aids, prescription medication and vitamins.  A small case carrying a small flashlight, batteries, phone wall charger, portable phone charger, pens  Blow-up travel pillow.  On flights snacks.......and....my purse!  
/



Peggy's Luggage 

My new carry-on weighs only 4 lbs. and it has spinner wheels -- it's amazing how much it holds!



I try to roll all of my clothes -- it saves space and the clothes are actually less wrinkled.  Here's how I layered my packing:

Layer #l - Black dress slacks
                 2 pair black leggings
                 Black jean leggings                          
                 Blue jean leggings

                Black turtleneck
                Black bra tank
                Black/brown top
                Blue tie dye top
                Floral blouse top
                Leopard blouse
                Teal top





Layer #2 - Black dressy top                                                
                  Black/blue dressy top
                  Wild print top

                  Tankini top & bottom

                  Black long sweater

                  2 nighties

                  Black ballerina flats (w/4
                   pr. undies in each shoe)




Layer #3 - Make-up/Medicine Bag








I also was able to put a black beret and a fold-up extra travel bag in the mesh pockets above the main part of the luggage.



12 more pair of undies (rolled) went in the lower pocket on the outside.  The upper pocket is empty....ready for my airline ticket.



It's amazing, but I was able to pack 5 pair slacks, 10 tops, l tankini swimsuit, 1 sweater, 2 nighties, 1 hat,  1 pair flats, my make-up/medicine bag and 20 pair of undies along with an extra fold-up carry bag for my purchases including a Barcelona coffee mug, a Barcelona charm and a Christmas ornament-- i.e., things I always purchase from each city I visit!

I also will be carrying a small personal bag with my prescriptions, jewelry, blow-up neck pillow.
my kindle and I-pad with chargers and 2 pr. black socks.  I'm sure you can count on some "last-minute" candy and snacks in there too!

We're now ready for our first transatlantic cruise....and a week in one of our favorites places, Barcelona!  No worries about any checked luggage!  No extra time or money spent on checked suitcases!  Off the plane....and straight to the beginning of our wonderful vacation!!

1 comment: